Registering Your Vehicle
Who Can Register
Any student who has completed at least 28 approved credits can register for campus parking privileges. (The 28 credit requirement does not apply to commuters or graduate students, or to Summer Session parking.) You can only register vehicles owned by you, or by a member of your immediate family (mother, father, brother, sister).
How to Register
Fall 2014/Spring 2015 student parking registration is now available and must be completed online. PermitDirect™ will provide a printable temporary permit allowing students to park immediately. Permanent permits will be mailed to students' campus or local address.
Students eligible for upgrades to a base student permit, such as graduate assistants, student athletes and those with a state-issued ADA placard, must visit the Parking Office to obtain their upgraded permit. However, registration for a base student permit needs to be completed online prior to applying for any upgrades.
To ensure prompt delivery, off-campus students must provide their full local address (including street number, street, and apartment number, if applicable) when registering for a permit. In addition, any students moving into a new residence in State College must notify the local Post Office of their residency prior to registering for a permit, as this is required to receive any mail at a new address.
Residents of Nittany Apartments must use the following address format in order to receive their permit:
600 E. Pollock Road
Apt. #, Nittany Apts.
State College PA 16801
When to Register
Vehicles must be registered by the first day of classes each semester or by the first business day following your arrival on campus. Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you will be living off campus, there are two on-campus options available:
- Students commuting to campus may purchase a permit to park their cars in the commuter lots: Lot 44, Stadium West, and Porter North during the day. Commuter permits are not valid from 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. in any campus parking lot, seven days a week.
- The second option is Long-Term Storage parking in Lot 43. This option would be for students living off campus and unable to acquire parking at their place of residence. This option allows 24 hour parking in Lot 43. Off campus addresses must include street number, street name, and apartment number if applicable. (NOTE: Lot 43 is sold out for Fall 2014. Off-campus students in need of overnight storage parking on campus may register for Lot 83 East.)
If you will be living on campus:
Resident student parking consists of six parking options: Lot 22 (for residents of Eastview Terrace), Lot 81 (for residents of South & Pollock Halls), Lot 42 (for residents of Nittany Apartments & Nittany Hall), Lot 82 (for residents of North & East Halls), YWH parking at the Nittany Deck (for residents of West Halls), Lot B11 (for residents of White Course Apartments) and Lot 83, which is open to all eligible students residing on campus.
Student Move-In Vehicle Procedures
University Police will be on site during student move-in to direct student vehicles into the residence hall areas. After unloading their vehicles, students who have registered or will be registering for a permit for Lot 22, Lot 42, Lot 81, or Lot 82 will be directed to move their vehicles to either Lot 44 or Stadium West, which are located near the Bryce Jordan Center and Beaver Stadium.
- Lot 82 permit holders - must park at Lot 44 or Stadium West until 6 p.m. on Saturday, August 23, at which time permit holders may begin parking at Lot 82.
- Lot 22, Lot 42, and Lot 81 permit holders - must park at Lot 44 or Stadium West until 4 p.m. on Sunday, August 24, at which time permit holders may begin parking at their assigned lots.
- Permit holders for all other student lots may begin parking in their assigned lots immediately upon completing their registration.
Lot 83 permit holders are reminded that parking is available at two sections of Lot 83 - one near the corner of Hastings Road and University Drive (83 West) and one near the corner of Hastings Road and Porter Road (83 East). BLUE LOOP bus stops are located near each section of Lot 83 and sufficient parking is available for all permit holders between the two sections of the lot (NOTE: Lot 83 East permit holders may only park at the east section of Lot 83).
The printable temporary permit must be displayed on your vehicle's dashboard until the permanent permit is received in the mail. Once received, the permanent permit should be displayed on the vehicle's rear view mirror and the temporary permit should be destroyed.
Any students arriving on or after Monday, August 11 but prior to the start of student parking registration should follow the above procedures and register for a permit when they become available on Monday, August 18 and Tuesday, August 19 at 8 a.m. each day.
Don't forget, all bicycles operated within the Centre Region must be registered. Registration is free and easy to Penn State students and staff.
You will need the make, model, color, and serial number of the bicycle to complete the registration process. At the end of the process, a registration number will be automatically assigned, and the registration sticker will be mailed to the local address provided during the registration process within two business days.
Note: Because the permit is sent to the local address, if moving to a residence hall or apartment, please do not register until arriving on campus or into your new apartment. Off campus addresses must include street number, street name, and apartment number if applicable.